Days 13 – 15 (9/22-24)
Day 13
Tues was pretty quiet. Pete needed to mail a birthday card, so for the first time we found our way into downtown Auburndale . Very small little town, but quite cute. Tried to find a non-existent Publix but did find a Winn-Dixie. Been a long time since I saw one of those.
Headed home, it was another day with the dogs and the pool.
Day 14
Started packing up. Tomorrow, I drive down to Indian Rocks Beach for my 60th high school reunion. We drove two cars down here so I could head south and Pete stays with the dogs. My car is packed with suitcases, this computer, golf clubs, etc. Can’t wait for it.
Day 15
All packed and ready to go. I planned to leave at 9am, but got antsy so left around 8:30, got me there plenty early.
Since our 40th reunion we always start the 4-day event with a golf outing. Since I was so early, I decided to find the golf course first. The East Bay Golf Club in Largo looks nice. Can’t help thinking about the sun and how hot it will be, but will deal with that later.
Then went and found my Airbnb for the stay. Found it. Looks just like the photos. Can’t check in until 4pm, so then I went looking for the Holiday Inn where the reunion is being held. Found it, looks nice.
By this time, I could head back to the golf course. Found the guys in the bar (of course) and we did all the usual ‘welcoming events’…..drinking, catching up with the gang, taking a tequila toast, going over the rules, you know, the usual stuff.
When this outing was originally started, back during our 40th reunion, it was a much bigger group. We did shotgun starts, can’t remember how many golfers, but it was a big event. This year we had 3 foursomes. Only 2 women, me and Lynn Lathrop, and thankfully it was a best ball event which moved along much faster. The heat was tolerable only because for most of the outing there was a very nice breeze.
When it was all said and done, I won $1 for being the most entertaining holder of the flag, and $10 for longest drive. There were 10 male golfers, some of whom I know are excellent golfers. However, it seems they can’t keep their long drives in the fairway, which is a requirement for this award. So, there it was, me. It bought me a drink.
Made it to my beach cabin, took a much-needed shower, then back to the Holiday Inn for Happy Hour. It was a very happy time. Found Kendra Boggess, Connie Valimont, Tim Wiley and Jim Williams and continued our reunion tradition of dinner together where we catch up.
Ended the evening in room 245 watching an hour of very old photos from elementary through 55th reunion. A very nice way to end the day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home